An international passport is an essential travel document that allows individuals to travel outside of their home country. In Nigeria, the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) is responsible for issuing international passports to eligible citizens.
The process of applying for an international passport can seem daunting, but with the right information and preparation, it can be a relatively straightforward process. In this article, we will go through the requirements, application process, and tips for applying for an international passport in Nigeria.
Once you have gathered all of the necessary documents and information, you can begin the application process. The following is a step-by-step guide to the process:
Step 1: Fill out the passport application form The passport application form can be found on the website of the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS). The form should be filled out completely and accurately, and all of the required information should be provided.
Step 2: Submit the application form and required documents The completed application form and required documents should be submitted to the nearest Nigerian Immigration Service office.
Step 3: Pay the passport fee You will need to pay the passport fee at the time of submission. The fee can be paid in cash or by bank draft.
Step 4: Attend an interview You will be required to attend an interview with an immigration official. The interview will be used to verify the information provided on the application form and to take your biometric information (fingerprints and facial photograph)
Step 5: Wait for processing It typically takes between 4-6 weeks for an international passport to be processed and issued. You can track the status of your application by visiting the Nigerian Immigration Service website.
Step 6: Collect your passport When your passport is ready, you will receive a notification from the Nigerian Immigration Service. You will need to go to the same office where you submitted your application to collect your passport.
Requirements for Applying for an International Passport in Nigeria
Before beginning the application process for an international passport in Nigeria, it is important to ensure that you have all of the necessary documents and information. The following is a list of the basic requirements for applying for an international passport in Nigeria:
- Proof of Nigerian Citizenship: This is the most important requirement for applying for an international passport in Nigeria. You will need to provide a valid document that proves your Nigerian citizenship. This can be a birth certificate, national ID card, or voter’s card. If you were born outside of Nigeria, you will need to provide your Nigerian parent’s birth certificate or naturalization certificate.
- Recent Passport-Sized Photographs: You will need to provide two recent passport-sized photographs. These photographs should be taken against a white background and should be of good quality. The photographs should be taken no more than six months before the date of application, and should be 2 inches x 2 inches in size.
- Payment for Passport Fees: The cost of an international passport in Nigeria varies depending on the type of passport and the processing time. You will need to pay the passport fee at the time of submission, which can be done in cash or by bank draft.
- Additional Documents: Depending on your specific circumstances, you may need to provide additional documents. For example, if you are applying for a passport for a minor, you will need to provide a birth certificate or court order for the child. If your passport has been lost or damaged, you will need to provide a police report and any other relevant documents.
- Interview: You will be required to attend an interview with an immigration official. The interview will be used to verify the information provided on the application form and to take your biometric information (fingerprints and facial photograph)
It’s important to note that all the documents provided should be originals and photocopies that are certified by an appropriate authority. It is also important to make sure that all the information provided is accurate and up-to-date. Not providing the correct documents or providing inaccurate information can result in delays or rejection of your application. It is advisable to check the Nigerian Immigration Service website for the most up-to-date information on the specific requirements for applying for an international passport in Nigeria.
Tips for a Successful Application
- Make sure that all of the information on your application form is accurate and complete.
- Submit your application well in advance of your planned travel date to allow for processing time.
- Keep copies of all of the documents submitted with your application, in case they are needed later.
- Be prepared to wait. Processing times can vary, and it is best to plan accordingly.
Applying for an international passport in Nigeria can be a relatively straightforward process, as long as you have all of the necessary documents and information.
By following the steps outlined in this article, you can ensure that your application is processed quickly and smoothly.
Remember to be patient and plan ahead, as processing times can vary. With a valid international passport, you will be able to travel the world with ease.