Tags :Majek FashekMajek Fashek's Death
Nigerian reggae singer Majek Fashek died aged 71 on Monday around 5:45pm.
His manager, Omenka Uzoma Day, confirmed the news on Monday via a short video on Instagram, saying the “the legend has gone to be with the Lord, but this time we should all celebrate him”.
Here, naijmobile.com brings to you 10 things to know about the late reggae musican.
- The reggae singer and guitarist, whose real name is Majekodunmi Fasheke, was born in Benin City on 6 February 1949 to a Yoruba father and an Edo mother.
- The name ‘Fashek’ means ‘Power of Miracles, The high priest does not lie’
- He was born with dreadlocks, the “holy” hairstyle of Rastafarianism.
- Fashek inherited his love for music from his mother who inspired him through her participation in traditional religous ceremonies where the Olokun rhythms were used to accompany the worship of the river goddess.
- He attracted International attention when his song ‘Send down the rain’ seemed to coax a rain storm, ending one of the worst draughts in Nigeria’s history and earning him the title ‘Musical Prophet’ and ‘Rain maker’.
- Fashek played a supporting role in the 2000 Nollywood movie ‘Mark of the Beast’ and starred in a commercial for non alcoholic beverage ‘Dia Malt’ In 2016.
- He was married to Rita Fashek for whom he wrote the song ‘Without you’. They had four children but has since divorced.
- In the Year 1989, Fashek won six PMAN awards including Album of the Year Song of the Year Reggae Artist of the Year.
- He staged a comeback to the music stage after 30 years with a remake of his old classic ‘Holy Ghost’ which is now called ‘Take over me’ featuring Tuface Idibia.
- In 2005, Majek went bankrupt having suffered drug addiction for a long period of time. But, after he admitted he needed help at the time, he was treated at a drug rehabilitation centre in Abuja.
Thanks for reading naijmobile.com
For more information about Majek Fashek’s death, read this: When Did Majek Fashek Die and What Was The Cause of His Death?
add a comment