No matter how cool-headed you maybe, you are sure to get irritated when you request for Puff-Puff and you get buns or you request for buns and you get Puff-puff. Although these quick, tasty snacks have some striking resemblance, yet they have their sheer differences.
Puff-Puff and Buns are bailed-up pastry and are deep-fried. Their ingredients are quite similar, but the preparation method is entirely different. While the puff-puff is oily, fluffy and soft on the inside, buns take a more crunchy form and soft inside.
Puff-Puff and Buns
Puff-Puff is a typical street snack, deeply fried and most times we can’t just get satisfied by eating only one ball. When it comes to puff-puff, I eat 4 balls before I get satisfied.
Ok, let’s get things straight, puff-puff was not originated in Nigeria, and it is not only found in the streets of Oshodi, Surulere, Ojota or any other street in Nigeria.
Our darling Puff-Puff is eaten in Other countries but it is called something different over there. Puff-Puff is known as “Mikate” in Congo, “Mandazi” in South Africa, “Kala” in Liberia and “Bofrot” in Ghana.
Apart from being a street delicacy, Puffpuff is also served in weddings as small chops. In Nigeria, we have taken puffpuff into another level. Nowadays puff-puff are now rolled on chocolate but me, I prefer my normal Ajekpako Puff Puff.
The process of making puff-puff is easy, as it has fewer ingredients and requires little or no amount of skill. Still, it is exciting, and you need to be very focused when preparing it. To prepare puff-puff, you will need the following ingredients
- 2 cups warm water
- Dry yeast ( 1 packet)
- 3 cups of flour
- 4 cup of suga
- 1 Tablespoon of salt
- Vegetable Oil for deep frying
How to make Puff-Puff
- Mix salt, sugar, water, and yeast and set aside for 3 minutes. Add flour and mix. Allow the mixture rise for 1 – 2 hours.
- Pour vegetable oil into a pot, until it is at least 3 inches high and place on low heat. Make sure the oil is hot to use by putting a tiny amount of batter into the oil. If it is hot, the dough will rise, but if it is not, it will stay at the bottom.
- Use your hands to grab a bit of mixture one at a time and drop gently in the oil. When the oil is hot to use, use a metal spoon or spatula to dish up the batter, and another spoon to drop it in the hot oil, in the shape of a ball.
- Fry for a some few minutes until the bottom side is golden brown.
- Flip the ball over and fry for some minutes until the other side is golden brown. 10. Use a large spoon to take it out of the oil and place them in a clean napkin to soak the excess oil.
- If you wish, you can roll the finished product in powdered sugar or liquid chocolate to make it tastier.
Buns! Buns! Buns! The conductors and wheelbarrow pusher favorite. Buns are loved by these people because eating only one ball fills the stomach in no time. In other words, it is a quick belle-full snack
The difference Buns as with the puff-puff is the addition of milk, butter, and eggs. These ingredients make it crunchy on the outside while soft on the inside. To prepare buns, you would need:
- 3 cups of Flour
- 1 cup of Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- Two tablespoons of baking powder or yeast
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 cup of Butter
- I cup of Milk
- Vegetable oil
- Get a deep bowl and prepare all the ingredients.
- Add flour, yeast or baking powder, sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Mix everything properly.
- Add milk and eggs and ontinue mixing the dough. Make small balls from the dough with your hands or using an ice cream scoop to make it round.
- Place all the balls on a big plate. Add oil on the pan and heat it. You’ll need a good layer of oil (2-3 centimeters high)
- Fry dough until they are golden brown.
- Make sure you use a spatula to stir the balls while frying them
- Serve the snack and enjoy with a chilled soft drink